Our surveyors and inspectors working in local authorities protect the public interest by carrying out the following duties:
Verification is the Local Authority Building Standards service primary role and involves
- pre-application advice,
- building warrants,
- site inspections,
- completion certificates, and
- maintenance of building standards register and records
Statutory Enforcement to fulfill the council’s statutory duties in relation to non-compliance of building standards, unauthorised work and dangerous and defective buildings is also undertaken by the Building Standards Services
Other services can include:
- Safety at Sports Grounds
- Emergency planning
- Reporting on Licensing for premises and structures
- Solicitors’ Property Enquiries for Letters of Comfort
- Street naming and numberings
- Cross-departmental liaison on fire risk assessment and health and safety matters
- Housing standards and
- Providing advice on disabled access matters to the local Access Panel
Use our Postcode search for your local authority verifier to find your local authority buildings standards service and the duties it carries out.
Local Authority Building Standards Services will strive to meet your needs at all times and operate under an agreed Performance Framework.
However, should things go wrong then LABSS and the authorities have a Dispute Resolution Process in place should you wish to lodge a formal complaint on a matter of interpretation or process. This does not negate a local authorities' formal comments and complaints processes.