Scottish Type Approval Scheme
A customer focused national approval system for house builders and developers. STAS offers approvals of standard building designs prepared by designers and developers of domestic and non-domestic projects in support of building warrant applications in Scotland, and producing real savings in time in the approval process. All local authorities accept a STAS certificate as evidence of compliance with the building standards. No further checks, other than local site conditions, are made for a design that has been approved nationally. This results in faster responses and faster approvals of building projects.
A building warrant application incorporating the approved STAS certificate and drawings must still be made to the local authority in which area the building is to be constructed. However, a STAS approval will avoid applicants having to undergo a full building warrant assessment each time the same building is to be constructed in a different local authority area. That way Architects and Design Engineers can pass on real savings in time and costs.
STAS has special benefits for you by guaranteeing:
- Consistent interpretation of building standards,
- A fast track through building standards approval,
- An agreed performance standard between you and the Lead Authority,
- A single point of contact with building standards authorities,
- Confidence in a design assessed by STAS,
- Checks by the local authority will be confined to site related matters.
Architects, specifiers and builders
Follow STAS Applicant Search link to see which Scottish standard building types hold a current STAS Certificate
To register your STAS Application for a Scottish building Type Approval please contact our STAS Administrator at email@example.com
Please note by completing our form you are formally accepting our Terms and Conditions
If you would like to know more about the STAS contact:
LABSS Technical Director Alan McAulay at firstname.lastname@example.org or the STAS Administrator
Submit your STAS application for standard domestic or non-domestic building design - see link Application Form for STAS
Find out more about:
- STAS - the scheme - LABSS Information Paper STAS General V6 2021
- STAS - the scheme - LABSS Information Paper STAS Domestic V6 2021
- STAS - the scheme - LABSS Information Paper STAS Non-Domestic V6 2021
- STAS -Terms and Conditions - LABSS Information Paper STAS/04/V1/2015 Terms and Conditions